Sunday, December 31, 2006

New Year's Eve is not special

I promised a friend to be at his place for New Year because he and others think it is important holiday. I asked my this is so important and made the point that years, weeks, different names of days etc. are just constructions and so nothing particular happens when they come. Still many people here ask questions like "What will the year 2007 be like".

That is of course nonsensical and should be protested against, but I can understand the question as meaning if there will be special new developments. It feels strange to make guesses like this but I will try:

First of all web development is still just stupid Web 2 and all that ilk. The other day I walked around in bookstore when I saw a book called "JavaScript recipes". It contained Ajax, CSS and other abhorrent inventions. As for programming languages the main branches are still things like C# which is just interpreted C-like procedural language with a bit garbage collection. It is slow and for my part under criticism.

In political developments it is just like now or badder. Saddam Hussayn's death was hailed by some colleages as the "greatest thing in years" but I told them to not say such things or not speak. The reason is that now some other leader will just do similar violent and unintelligent measures. Iraq should instead get a system like USA but they do not because of too little smart people there.

Unfortunately I think there will be more stupid "authorities" to write on the web.

No comments: